Sony PlayStation 5 launch date, price and games officially confirmed
After Sony held some events to showcase games and also unveil the PlayStation 5 a few months ago, it was time for the Japanese giant to finally announce its release date and the price to come. The Japanese company held an online Showcase of about 40 minutes that in addition to informing these details, also showed gameplays and dates of the first videogames to be released on its PS5 platform.
Date and price
PlayStation 5 was officially confirmed to be priced at US $ 499 (NRs 58,650 in direct conversion) for the standard model with Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Drive and US $ 399 (NRs 46,890) for the All Digital model, the one without a DVD player. Both devices will hit stores on November 12, in the United States, Japan, Canada, etc., and on the 19th of the same month it will be available to the rest of the world.
Sony is pleased to provide choice to gamers with two PS5 console options at launch, depending on if you want a digital-only experience or prefer disc-based gaming. Whichever PS5 you choose, you’ll enjoy the same breathtaking, next-gen gaming experiences.
Both PS5 models use the same custom processor with integrated CPU and GPU for high-fidelity visuals, including 4K graphics and ray-tracing support, as well as the same ultra-high-speed SSD with integrated I/O for lightning-fast loading.
PS5’s 3D audio and the DualSense Wireless Controller will also provide the same heightened sense of immersion on all PS5s.
The company also stated that with the help of most talented game creators in the industry, the company is pleased to announce the following new games coming to PS5:
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Capcom)
- Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix)
- Five Nights at Freddy’s Security Breach (Steel Wool Studios and ScottGames)
- Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros. Games)
- New God of War title (Santa Monica Studio)
These newly revealed titles, along with other games shown previously, represent the best lineup in PlayStation history. Games like Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War, and Demon’s Souls will launch alongside the console. The company’s owned Worldwide Studios titles will be priced from US$49.99 to US$69.99 (RRP) on PS5.
Sony also announced PS4 versions of some of its exclusives games. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4.
While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch.
The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.
Also launching this November is a slate of new accessories:
- DualSense™ Wireless Controller (standalone) – US$69.99 / ¥6,980 / €69.99 (RRP)
- PULSE 3D™ wireless headset – with 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones US$99.99 / ¥9,980 / €99.99 (RRP)
- HD Camera – with dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments US$59.99 / ¥5,980 / €59.99 (RRP)
- Media Remote – to navigate movies and streaming services with ease US$29.99 / ¥2,980 / €29.99 (RRP)
- DualSense™ Charging Station – to conveniently charge two DualSense Wireless Controllers US$29.99 / ¥2,980 / €29.99 (RRP)
PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios
- Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
- Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
- Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)
|CPU||x86-64-AMD Ryzen™ “Zen 2”
8 Cores / 16 Threads
Variable frequency, up to 3.5 GHz
|GPU||AMD Radeon™ RDNA 2-based graphics engine
Ray Tracing Acceleration
Variable frequency, up to 2.23 GHz (10.3 TFLOPS)
|System Memory||GDDR6 16GB
5.5GB/s Read Bandwidth (Raw)
|Optical Drive||Ultra HD Blu-ray (66G/100G) ~10xCAVBD-ROM (25G/50G) ~8xCAVBD-R/RE (25G/50G) ~8xCAVDVD ~3.2xCLV|
|PS5 Game Disc||Ultra HD Blu-ray, up to 100GB/disc|
|Video Out||HDMI™ OUT port
Support of 4K 120Hz TVs, 8K TVs, VRR (specified by HDMI ver.2.1)
|Audio||“Tempest” 3D AudioTech|
|Dimensions||PS5: Approx. 390mm x 104mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)(excludes largest projection, excludes Base)PS5 Digital Edition: Approx. 390mm x 92mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)(excludes largest projection, excludes Base)|
|Weight||PS5: 4.5kgPS5 Digital Edition: 3.9kg|
|Power||PS5: 350WPS5 Digital Edition: 340W|
|Input/Output||USB Type-A port (Hi-Speed USB)USB Type-A port (Super-Speed USB 10Gbps) x2
USB Type-C® port (Super-Speed USB 10Gbps)
|Networking||Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/axBluetooth® 5.1|
DualSense™ Wireless Controller Specifications
|Dimensions||Approx. 160mm x 66mm x 106mm (excludes largest projection) (width x height x depth)|
|Buttons||PS button, Create button, Options button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square),R1/L1 button, R2/L2 button (with Trigger Effect)Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Touch Pad button, MUTE button|
|Touch Pad||2 Point Touch Pad, Capacitive Type, Click Mechanism|
|Motion Sensor||Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)|
|Audio||Built-in Microphone Array, Built-in Mono Speaker, Stereo Headset JackOutput : 48kHz/16bit, Input : 24kHz/16bit|
|Feedback||Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Vibration (haptic feedback by dual actuators), Indicators (Light bar / Player indicator / MUTE status)|
|Ports||USB Type-C® port (Hi-Speed USB), Stereo Headset Jack, Charging Terminals|
|Communication||Wireless: Bluetooth® Ver5.1
Wired: USB connection (HID, Audio)
|Battery||Type: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Voltage: DC 3.65V