Yamaha R7 Launched: Yamaha’s new generation Supersport
The world of Supersport is changing. While the more extreme models continue to attract a steady following of performance-oriented riders, Yamaha is further expanding its industry-leading Supersport range with the introduction of the new R7. The arrival of the new R7 makes Yamaha’s supersport world accessible to much younger motorcyclists. Especially since Yamaha delivers a full-power version, or a 35 kW version for motorcyclists with an A2 license.
The Yamaha R7 has the same power source as the Yamaha MT-07. In the lightweight steel spine frame with aluminum middle bracket hangs a liquid-cooled, 689 cc four-stroke inline CP2 two-cylinder with DOHC technique with four valves. Striking is the 270-degree crankshaft that causes an irregular ignition interval. The block has a maximum power of 73.4 hp (54 kW) at 8,750 rpm and a maximum torque of 67 Nm, available at 6,500 rpm.
Featuring a unique cockpit work and best specs including radially placed front brakes, upside-down fork and an A&S clutch, the R7 is a new motorcycle that offers great Supersport performance and excellent handling in the aggressive style of the R Series.
This breathtaking machine is light, compact and agile and designed to give motorcyclists optimal control and the greatest fun factor in its class, whether they’re riding on the track or on the road.
The compact Supersport cockpit features a newly designed lightweight high-contrast LCD instrument panel with negative display. The Yamaha R7’s instrument panel includes an acceleration and a shift indicator plus a QSS light when used.
Special modifications to the existing CP2 engine include a new ECU specification and optimized air intake ducts, as well as a revised exhaust design and optimized fuel injection settings. These adjustments ensure better controllability and a smooth and responsive throttle response, contributing to the enjoyable torque-rich driving experience and also meeting all the requirements of the EU5 standard.
The R7 has a newly designed link-type Monocross rear suspension with cushioning characteristics and a spring constant tailored to the sporty character of the motorcycle. The shock absorber is positioned horizontally to move the center of gravity to the center for greater manoeuvrability and features spring preload and rebound damping adjustment mechanisms, allowing the R7 chassis to be quickly adjusted for use on the track or on the road.
The solo saddle features a bump stop and has a passenger cushion on the back. The optional saddle cap from the Yamaha Genuine accessories range can easily be mounted on the R7 for solo-only riders.
With a ready-to-drive weight of only 188 kg and compact dimensions, the motorcycle is very accessible and riders can become an integral part of this new generation of Supersport.
With the tough ‘twin-eye’ contour lighting and the M-shaped air intake in the style of the YZR-M1 MotoGP™ motorcycle, there is no doubt that the R7 is a full member of the R Series.
The new dynamic R7 comes in two colour options – Icon Blue and Yamaha Black and will be the first motorcycle to get the next generation of R-Series colours and graphics.
Yamaha R7 – Technical Specifications
- Compact CP2 689 cc high torque crossplane engine block
- Available in full power and 35 kW versions
- Ultra-compact design with pure R-series DNA
- Very aerodynamically shaped cockpit with aluminum lower cover
- High quality 41 mm upside-down fork
- Link-type Monocross rear suspension with newly designed shock absorber
- A&S link
- Light tube frame with aluminium middle bracket for optimal stiffness balance
- Clip-on handlebar and lightweight footrest adjustment set with stylish heel protectors
- Sporty and adjustable bent driving position
- Tough ‘twin-eye’ LED contour lighting in the style of the R-series
- Powerful central LED headlight
- Lightweight cast alloy ten-spoke rims
- Radially placed front calipers with radial Brembo main cylinder
- Supersport cockpit with full LCD instrument panel
- Central M-shaped air intake duct
- Powerful front and rear brakes
- Slim 13-litre fuel tank with deep cut-outs for the knees
- R Series-style back
- 120/70 front tyre, 180/55 rear tyre