Huawei Honor Magic 2 launched with slider and 6 cameras
This insane month of mobile gadget launches, which saw the debuts of flagship products from Apple, LG, Google, Razer, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Huawei, and a couple others, has finally come to a close, and it is Honor with the last word.
Just launched in Beijing, the sub-brand of Huawei has unveiled the sequel to its experimental 2016 phone, the Magic, and the aptly-titled Magic 2 brings with it the same sliding form factor that Xiaomi introduced — in the same city — just last week.
Honor announced the phone first back at IFA in August, but Xiaomi held the official launch first, but its Honor whose device is ready for retail first.
Honor Magic 2 was launched by the Huawei sub-brand at an event in Beijing on Wednesday. The smartphone sports a triple rear camera setup, the company’s latest 7nm HiSilicon Kirin 980 SoC, 40W Magic Charge fast charging tech, a 6.39-inch AMOLED display, an in-display fingerprint sensor, 3D face unlock, a front camera slider, and the Yoyo AI-based virtual assistant as its highlights.
Honor has launched the smartphone in three different variants with up to 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of inbuilt storage. The Honor Magic 2 price and availability details were also revealed by the company at the event.
The dual-SIM Honor Magic 2 runs Magic UI 2.0 based on Android 9.0 Pie – the first few models will run EMUI 9.0 however, and will receive an update later. It sports a 6.39-inch full-HD+ (1080×2340 pixels) AMOLED display with a pixel density of 403ppi, support for the DCI-P3 (108 percent) colour gamut, and a 91.5 percent screen-to-body ratio. The display slides down to reveal the front camera and 3D Face Unlock sensors. It is powered by the HiSilicon Kirin 980 SoC, with two Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.6GHz, two Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 1.92GHz, and four Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 1.8GHz. It comes in 6GB or 8GB of RAM options.
The Honor Magic 2 offers 128GB or 256GB of inbuilt storage, depending on the option selected, neither of which are expandable via microSD card. Connectivity options on board the smartphone include 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (dual-band, 2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth v5.0, GPS/ A-GPS, NFC, and a USB Type-C port. There is not 3.5mm headphone jack on board, but the company is bundling a USB Type-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter.
As mentioned, the Honor Magic 2 bears a triple rear camera setup. It bears a 16-megapixel primary sensor with an f/1.8 aperture, a 24-megapixel monochrome sensor with an f/1.8 aperture, and a 16-megapixel sensor with a super wide-angle lens and an f/2.2 aperture. The company is touting the presence of its AIS tech for image stabilisation, apart from a single-LED flash. On the front, the smartphone bears a triple camera setup, if one counts the 3D Face Unlock sensors, with a 16-megapixel primary sensor featuring an f/2.0 aperture, and a 2-megapixel + 2-megapixel combo with an f/2.4 aperture for 3D Face Unlock features.
There is a 3,500mAh battery on board the Honor Magic 2, and the 40W Magic Charge fast charging tech is said to deliver a full charge in 55 minutes. The smartphone measures 157.32×75.13×8.3mm, and weighs about 206 grams. The company is also touting an IPX2 rating that makes it dustproof and splash-proof.
Honor Magic 2 Full Specification
- CPU – Octa-Core 4x 2.6 GHz ARM Cortex-A76 4x, 2x 1.92 GHz ARM Cortex-A76 4x 1.8 GHz ARM Cortex-A55
- Chipset – Huawei HiSilicon Kirin 980
- GPU – ARM Mali-G76 MP10, 720 MHz, 10 Cores
- Camera – Triple 16MP f/1.8 +24MP +16MP with Dual-LED and AF Rear Camera | 16 Megapixel f/2.0 Front camera
- Memory – RAM- 6GB/8GB LPDDR4X | ROM 128GB/256GB External Memory Support Up to 512GB
- Display – Screen size 6.39 inches OLED Display QHD+ (1080 x 2340 Pixels) Resolution
- Battery – Non-Removable 3400 mAh Lithium-Polymer with Fast Charging Technology
- SIM – Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano + Nano/Nano-Memory Card)
- Sensors – Proximity Sensor, Accelerometer, Compass, Ambient Light, Gyroscope, Barometer, Fingerprint, Hall, In-display Fingerprint Sensor, Infrared Face Recognition
- Color – Black
- Operating System – Android 9.0 Pie with Emotion UI 9.0
- I/O Interface – 1x Nano SIM Card Slot, 1x Nano SIM Card Slot, NanoSD Slot, Type-C USB V3.0, Headphone Jack, Power Button, Volume Button, Microphone, Speaker
- Dimensions – 75.13 mm x 157.32 mm x 8.3 mm
- Weight – 206 Grams (With Battery)